Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Will Cloud Computing be a $100 Billion Market

Do you think Cloud Computing will hit $100 billion? When? Merrill Lynch thinks it will pass $100 billion and by 2011 it will be worth $160 billion in combined business value and advertising. They also expect that cloud computing will be the next wave of investment for venture capitalists.

Merill Lynch figures right now that 10 companies are the big boys. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. They see VMWare and Citrix as major players which I don't quite see. They own the vitalization market but cloud computing is a lot more that virtual servers. What they both need to is develop the next generation private cloud offering. That's where I see the the Fortune 1000 going.

The article has a quote from author Nick Carr. He wrote the Big Switch which is about utility computing.

"I think for a lot of the traditional companies whether it is software companies like Microsoft, Oracle and SAP, or hardware companies like Dell or EMC, it's going to be a very tough transition to go from the old world to the new world."

I have to agree with that. I think Microsoft is more on the ball on this one than any of the others mentioned. They're working on Mesh, SDDS and the Office Live stuff. Oracle can't even figure out how to license for a VM much less for the cloud. EMC started a move with Mozy. I can see EMC partner with someone like Akamai and put out a second generation cloud. Dell will be hurting.

All I know is that the next few years will be very interesting in this space. I'm just hoping I will be able to stay in it. Job changes might be moving me back to a pure Oracle world (which isn't a bad thing, it's just not the next big thing).

Technorati : , , ,

No comments: